Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Back in the Saddle




March 15th, 2010
 
Well, I thought I was going to be accomplishing a lot in February this year. By this time last year (see photo at right), I had radishes and green-leafies well on their way to harvest.
But we got a serious February cold snap this year and it threw me off a little.
On the 13th I had planted a whole bunch of radishes, beets, lettuces and spinach in my cloched bed, and they are just now starting to germinate, nearly 3 weeks later. In ideal conditions, the radishes would be ready to eat 30 days from planting, but that is obviously not going to be the case this month. So I am being patient, trying to keep the moisture levels in the cloche just right, and waiting.

Meanwhile, I actually put some seeds into "the corn plot" last night after work.
First I worked in 1.25 cubic feet of Cedar Grove compost and a good helping of steer manure as well as about a cup full of all-purpose organic vegetable fertilizer. Working with the loose sifted soil was a dream and it was quick work. Since I am going to start the plot with peas, I rigged a trellis for them to grow on first, made of pipes and netting. I planted an 18" swath of sugar snap peas and 18" of shelling peas, separated bu about 12" of radishes. I sowed a row of compact lettuce seeds in front (why waste space?!) and threw some bright lights chard seeds into the corner beyond the trellis. Hopefully I will get some photos up soon!

1 comment:

  1. I bet your backyard smells great right now. (I can imagine that little girl next door running outside to play, exclaiming: "PEE-YOO!", and then running back inside to play video games. In short: childhood obesity? You're part of the problem.)

    ReplyDelete